Monday, October 16, 2006

mmmmmm....Pork Adobo

So I'm here in lovely Renton, Washington for the 2006 Boeing 737NG Industry Steering Committee meeting and it's time for lunch. There are about 40 of us here from all points of the globe from Ireland, to South Africa, to Japan, and Australia. Actually, the Boeing facility that we're in right now is a big training center for flight crews as well so you can imagine how many different nationalities there are.

So I get my lunch voucher and walk into the cafeteria. Over on one side is your basic burgers and hot dogs. There's some cold sandwiches in another line. I look at the "international" line and lo and behold what do I see? MMMM.....Pork Adobo.

So why was I so excited? I make Chicken Adobo at home, my wife and kids love it, but for some reason I don't make the pork version. Adobo is a Filipino dish where you slowly cook either the pork or chicken in a combination of soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaf, salt and black pepper in a pot and serve it over white rice. It's something I grew up with as a child...seems like my folks made it once a week. It's a memory of youth.

Somehow seeing it in a lunch buffet line in Renton, Washington in the middle of a conference made me smile.....and it was damn tasty too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you a good enough cook to have your own show on TV? :-)