Sunday, March 25, 2007

End of the season...


The Gophers lost 3-2 to UND tonight so the 2006-2007 season is in the books and over with. But that's not the season that I'm upset that ended.

My son's Mite season ended today. One of the things that I hate is putting the gear away after the season. After every practice and scrimmage I go to the basement and take out all of his gear, hang it up and air it out so it doesn't smell and get develop a lot of mold. I swear that in the bottom of some kids hockey bag is the cure for cancer.

He played his final games against the other Rosemount teams this weekend and we got shelled pretty bad yesterday but today while he was in goal he played pretty well and we wound up winning. So after I turned in the goalie gear and we came home, I took the bag downstairs and hung it all up. It seems like the year went by so fast, and like so many things in childhood you wish that they wouldn't end, but you blink and they are gone in an instant.

We had our team party after the afternoon game yesterday and it was fun to have a chance to chat with all the other parents over a couple of beers. As an assistant coach I'm always worried about teaching and coaching and sometimes you can forget about the parents that bring those players to practices and games. Last year for the Boosters I put DVD's togehter for 14 of the teams, and while I wasn't asked to do it this year for the Boosters, one of the mom's and I decided to do one on our own. I gave them to the kids and they loved them. For all the yelling and prodding I did this year I thought it was the least that I could do.

So his gear hangs in the laundry room, socks and jersey in the dirty clothes pile ready for the washer. Shin pads and gloves quiet and dry. True, I could have him in spring hockey, but he hasn't pushed, and I haven't pushed either. The season started in November and it's time for him to hang it up for now. But I still hate it.

No comments: