Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Common Ground


Grant and Stanley don't always get along with each other. Go figure.

Sometimes they get along just fine (usually when they're plunked on the couch watching Spongebob) but other times...well...not so good. What typically happens is that Stan wants to play with his buddies and Grant can't leave them alone, and I'm usually trying to step in between them before too much blood is spilled. Boys will be boys but I try to intervene once someone picks up a weapon which happens more often than not.

But over the last couple days we've found some common ground. Our old flower garden. Or as I like to call it, our worm hunting grounds.

Last fall we had a small storage shed built where our old garden was. We took down the fencing and where we used to have our wildfowers is some open area where the boys can dig. It started on Monday afternoon with Grant and I, and yesterday afternoon Stan jumped into the fray. I use the big shovel to dig into some of the harder terra firma while the 2 boys use hand spades to do the detail work.

So far neither handspade has been used in anger.

I think it's good dirty fun. They get along and work together, get out in the fresh air and away from the TV. And me, I get free bait and a little sanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give boys some dirt to dig into and all is right with the world. :-)