Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Quiet Walk

Life is busy, that's a given. Like most, I don't take the time to stop and smell the roses and I really should. I think all of us should. Like most, my days are hurried and harried and you never seem to be able to catch up.

Running, Running, Running.

Always.

And it sucks.

My morning drive up Pilot Knob Road in Eagan is fairly mundane, the usual crawl up north through the suburban stop lights sipping the usual coffee, and flipping through the usual morning talk radio. Both the coffee and conversation bland at best. Normally I'm focused ahead of me, watching for brake lights and the occasional Canadian Goose. But something caught my eye this morning.

On the sidewalk along Pilot Knob was an elderly couple walking up the sidewalk. Hand in Hand.

There was quiet there. Peace. Dignity.

It wasn't quite a DeBeers diamond commercial, but I found it poignant nevertheless. Through all the hustle and daily business there walked partners in life seemingly oblivious to the daily chaos surrounding them.

Hopefully one day I'll have that peace.

No comments: